- Importance of omega-3 or fish oil:
- Omega 3 or fish oil benefits:
- Food Sources that are rich in omega-3
- Omega 3 or fish oil daily dose/requirement:
- Symptoms of deficiency of omega 3 or fish oil:
- Omega 3 or fish oil benefits for skin and hair
- Side effects of omega-3 or fish oil:
Importance of omega-3 or fish oil:
Omega 3 or fish oil is a mixture of EPA ( Eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA(decosahexaenoicacid).
EPA is essential for our heart health.
DHA is essential for our brain health.
It supports the maintenance of normal brain function in adults. Lack of DHA could be a reason responsible for weak memory at an early age. And helps you to keep your memory strong.
DHA helps you to become a fast learner and makes your brain more efficient. DHA is very beneficial for older people brain because their memory is not so good at that age, DHA slows down our aging process and keeps our memory strong even in old age that makes our brain more efficient and healthier.
In today’s modern-Era many people are suffering from heart diseases. EPA helps to reduce the low-density lipoprotein that is bad cholesterol and keeps your heart young and healthy.
You already know that heart and Brain are the two most important organs of your body. You have to understand that it doesn’t matter, what’s the size of your biceps, how strong you are, how many abs you have, without heart and brain, our survival is next to impossible. It’s acceptable to live without abs and biceps because it doesn’t provide nutrition to our heart and brain. We have to give priority to our inner health and then we should focus on big biceps and abs.
Omega 3 or fish oil benefits:
- Omega 3 or fish oil improves our heart health. EPA in omega 3 boosts good cholesterol level that is HDL(high-density lipoprotein) that reduces the risk of heart diseases in the future.
- Daily consumption of omega-3 or fish oil can maintain normal levels of blood pressure. Some studies show that omega-3 can control diastolic or systolic blood pressure levels.
- Omega 3 or fish oil increases the blood flow throughout the body during exercise that prevents joint pain and swelling.
- Pregnant women required DHA for themselves because DHA promotes the growth of the baby’s brain, muscles, and the baby gets a fast learning memory, So it’s essential to give a daily dose of DHA to pregnant women.
- At the time of breastfeeding, women must get a daily requirement of DHA through their diet because It will give proper nutrition to baby and mother that will promotes healthy growth of the baby’s brain.
- At the time when you cross the age of 50, your memory becomes weak day by day. DHA present in omega 3 or fish oil helps you to retain your memory strong for a vaster period.
Diastolic blood pressure.
It is the pressure in the arteries during the rest period of the heart between beats. It is the time when the heart fills blood and takes oxygen. The typical level of Diastolic BP is between 75-80, and higher than this is a sign of high blood pressure.
Systolic blood pressure:
It is the first number measures the pressure in your arteries when your heartbeats. Around 120 is the typical level of systolic BP.
Food Sources that are rich in omega-3
- Tuna fish.
- Chia seeds.
- Fish oil supplement.
- Flaxseed oil supplement.
- Infant formulas.
- soybean oil.
- Canola oil.
- Hemp seeds.
- Edamame – It is a type of soybeans it is green in color and known as vegetable soybeans.
- Seaweed and algae.
- Cod liver oil.
- Krill oil.-It is an oil extracted from Antarctic krill(shellfish).
- Algae oil.- Alga is a non-flowering aquatic plant that includes seaweeds(vegetables that grow in the sea), and it is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Herring.- It is a small silverfish.
- Sardines.- It is a saltwater fish.
- Anchovies.- It is a small silver/green fish.
- Caviar-It is an unfertilized egg and harvested from the sturgeon( It is a common name for fish species belonging to the Acipenseridae family) family of fish.
Omega 3 or fish oil daily dose/requirement:
1000mg in which includes:
Eicosapentaenoic acid= 500-700 grams per day.
Docosahexaenoic acid=200-300 grams per day.
EPA is always higher than DHA
Symptoms of deficiency of omega 3 or fish oil:
- Skin problems.
- Hair fall.
- Joint pain.
- Skin irritation.
- Thin nails.
- Leg cramps.
- Cardiovascular diseases.
- Alzheimer’s diseases(weak memory).
- Trouble in sleeping.
- A problem in the menstrual cycle for women.
Omega 3 or fish oil benefits for skin and hair
Anti-inflammatory properties of fish oil or omega 3 protect us from inflammatory molecules called cytokines that can damage our skin.
Fish oil or omega 3 delay the process of aging by maintaining our skin moisture and collagen levels and makes our skin smooth and wrinkle-free.
Helps in hair growth:
Omega 3 gives new strength to the hair follicles and makes hair strong and healthy. Healthy fats present in omega-3 or fish oil nourish the scalp and boost blood circulation in the scalp that helps nutrients to reach hair follicles that increase hair growth.
Protect from sun damage:
EPA and DHA present in fish oil or omega 3 make our skin less sensitive in the sun that protects our skin from harmful UVA or UVB rays of the sun.
Give protection from acne:
Omega 3 or fish oil can control sebum production from sebaceous glands. It fight against acne-causing bacteria and also manage the levels of acne-causing hormones like testosterone and androgen.
It is a male sex hormone that helps in the maintenance of male sex characteristics. Higher levels of androgen increase the sebum production that causes acne.
It is an oily substance produced by our body’s sebaceous glands. This means that the more sebum produced in your body, the more your skin will be oily.
Side effects of omega-3 or fish oil:
Excessive consumption of omega -3 or fish oil can cause.
- Bad breath.
- Bad smelling sweat.
- Sometimes it causes headaches.
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth.
- Stomach upset.
- Loose stools.
- Nose bleeding.
I hope now you understand the potential and impact of omega-3 on your health. So, It’s your responsibility to pamper your brain and heart with the positive results of Omega 3 or fish oil.