Who is vegan?
Vegans prefer only a plant-based diet. They eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans and whole grains. They avoid all animal-based foods like milk, poultry, seafood, eggs and dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, etc.
Vegans complete their daily needs of protein and vital macronutrients from different sources except for animal-based foods. These sources include beans, peanuts, tofu, nuts, and lentils—you should understand that vegans have many options to complete their protein needs. So please don’t appreciate rumours that vegans can’t build a good physique.
Types of vegetarians:
People who follow a lactovegetarian diet avoid foods of animal origin except for dairy products like milk, butter, cheese, and other foods from animal milk.
Ovo vegetarians avoid non-veg food like meat, fish and dairy but can consume eggs.
Lacto ovo vegetarian:
This kind of vegetarian diet is very similar to the Ovo-vegetarian diet. These people have dairy products and eggs in their diet, but they avoid meat and fish.
It is a Lacto Ovo vegetarian diet that includes fish
Flexitarian and semi-vegetarian:
This person focuses on a plant-based diet but can consume meat, seafood, eggs, and dairy products.
Five shocking Benefits of plant-based diets:
- A plant-based diet can lower your blood sugar levels and prevent type-2 diabetes.
- It Manages your healthy levels of blood.
- It Reduces pressure on your kidneys(because you avoid or reduce the consumption of animal protein in your diet).
- To reduce weight, you should switch to a plant-based diet.
- Plant-based diet Minimize the risk of heart disease and strokes.
Some statements and facts that come after conducting many recent studies on a plant-based diet:
The Seventh-day study by Loma Linda University in California, Adventist church proved that vegetarians have less risk of type-2 diabetes than non-vegetarians. A study found that vegetarians can easily maintain a healthy weight, so only a few were found diabetic.
In a study published in the Physician’s Committee for responsible medicine. They Inspect a difference between 2 types of diabetic persons, one who followed a vegan diet and the other who followed a moderate-carbohydrate eating plan. The researchers found that people who followed a vegan or plant-based diet had lower LDL levels (low-density lipoprotein) which is bad cholesterol. Lower levels of LDL mean you can manage type-2 diabetes well.
The Harvard School of public health study on 1,50,000 healthcare providers proved that those who consume animal-based foods have a higher chance of developing type-2 diabetes.
The research found that a plant-based diet effectively reduces the inflammation inside the body, which could be a reason for reducing the risk of developing type-2 diabetes.
Most vegetarians are very health conscious, and because of this, they take care of their health very well. They exercise regularly, avoid smoking, and get enough sleep compared to non-vegetarians.
The lifestyle of vegetarians contributes enormously to their general health and helps them to manage their diabetes and other health issues.
A plant-based diet is high in dietary fibre, phytochemicals (plant chemicals that prevent us from various diseases like cancer and heart problems), vitamins and minerals. Generally, plant-based food contains healthy fats compared to saturated fats and dietary cholesterol.
How to switch to a plant-focused diet:
- Don’t make any sudden changes in your diet. You have to reduce the consumption of animal-based products slowly.
- It would be best for you to mentally prepare yourself by considering animal-based food as a side dish instead of a core ingredient on your plate.
- Initially, you have to decide on one meatless day in a week.
- Avoid unhealthy carbs by adding peanut butter, low-fat or no-fat cheese and whole grains.
- Replace meat or mish with beans because of their high protein content. You should use it as a core ingredient and make different beans-based dishes.
Some people think that a plant-based diet has less protein than an animal-based diet. Plant-based foods like beans, grains, and vegetables are the best protein sources.
It is one of the five basic tastes: sweetness, sourness, bitterness and saltiness. The name comes from the Japanese word for pleasant savoury taste, also called meaty taste.
This taste is not only found in meat. This taste is present in roasted vegetables, mushrooms, avocado, nuts, and soy sauce. Breast milk is also one of the good sources of umami which explains its attraction.
If you switch to a plant-based diet, you might be deficient in some micronutrients like vitamin D, Vitamin B12, zinc, iron and omega3 fatty acids.
Your body can already produce some amount of vitamin B12, but that is not enough to complete your daily needs for this vitamin. The primary external source of vitamin B12 is meat. Fish is the primary source of omega-3 fatty acids. Now how can you meet your daily needs for these vitamins and minerals?
So, you must add some supplements to your diet to complete your daily needs for these vitamins and minerals.
- B12 (4mcg) in a separate tablet
- Calcium (400mg) plus vitamin D (2.5mcg) together in a separate tablet
- High-strength cod-liver oil capsule with vitamins D and E in a separate capsule.
I urge you to do the same.
I hope you found this article about plant-based diets knowledgeable and helpful.