Who is vegan?
Vegans prefer only a plant-based diet. They eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans and whole grains. They avoid all animal-based foods like milk, poultry, seafood, eggs and dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, etc.
Vegans complete their daily needs of protein and vital macronutrients from different sources except for animal-based foods. These sources include beans, peanuts, tofu, nuts, and lentils. One thing you should understand that vegans have a lot of options to complete their protein needs. So please don’t appreciate rumours that vegans can’t build a good physique.
Types of vegetarian:
People who follow a lactovegetarian diet avoid foods of animal origin except for dairy products like milk, butter, cheese, and other foods that are come from animal milk.
Ovo vegetarians avoid non-veg food like meat, fish and dairy, but they can add eggs to their diet.
Lacto ovo vegetarian:
This kind of vegetarian diet is very similar to the Ovo-vegetarian diet. This kind of people dairy products and eggs in their diet, but they avoid meat and fish.
It is a Lacto Ovo vegetarian diet that includes fish
Flexitarian and semi-vegetarian:
This kind of people focused on a plant-based diet, but they can also consume meat, seafood, eggs, and dairy products.
5 shocking Benefits of plant-based diets:
- A plant-based diet can low your blood sugar levels and prevent type-2 diabetes.
- It Manages your healthy levels of blood.
- It Reduces pressure on your kidneys(because you avoid or reduce the consumption of animal protein in your diet).
- If your goal is to reduce weight, then you should switch to a plant-based diet.
- Plant-based diet Minimize the risk of heart disease and strokes.
Some statements and facts that are come after conducting many recent studies on a plant-based diet:
Study conducted by Loma Linda University, located in California, on the seventh-day Adventist church proved that vegetarians have less risk of type-2 diabetes than non-vegetarians. In a study, they found that vegetarians can easily maintain a healthy weight, which is why only a few of them were found diabetic.
In Study published in the physician’s committee for responsible medicine. They Inspect a difference between 2 types of diabetic persons, one who followed a vegan diet and the other person who followed a moderate-carbohydrate eating plan. The researchers found that people who followed a vegan diet or plant-based diet have lower LDL levels (low-density lipoprotein) which is bad cholesterol. Lower levels of LDL means you can manage type-2 diabetes well.
Study conducted by the Harvard school of public health on 1,50,000 health care providers proved that those who consume animal-based foods have a higher chance of developing type-2 diabetes.
Researches found that a plant-based diet is very effective in reducing the inflammation inside the body, which could be a reason for the development of type-2 diabetes.
Most vegetarians are very health conscious, and because of this, they take care of their health very well. They do regular exercise, avoid smoking, and getting enough sleep as compared to non-vegetarians.
The lifestyle of vegetarians contribute enormously to their general health and help them to manage their diabetes and other health issues.
A plant-based diet is high in dietary fiber, phytochemicals (plant chemicals that prevent us from various diseases like cancer and heart problems), vitamins and minerals. Generally, plant-based food contains healthy fats as compared to saturated fats and dietary cholesterol.
How to switch to a plant-focused diet:
- Don’t do any sudden changes in your diet. You have to reduce the consumption of animal-based products slowly.
- You have to prepare yourself mentally by considered animal-based food as a side dish instead of a core ingredient on your plate.
- Initially, you have to decide one meatless day in a week.
- Avoid unhealthy carbs by adding peanut butter, low fat or no-fat cheese and whole grains to your diet.
- Replace meat or mish with beans because of its high protein content. You should use it as a core ingredient in your dish and make different dishes based on beans.
Some people think that a plant-based diet has less amount of protein as compared to an animal-based diet. In reality, plant-based foods like beans, grains, vegetables are the best sources of protein.
It is one of the 5 basic tastes that is sweetness, sourness, bitterness and saltiness. The name comes from the Japanese word for pleasant savoury taste, and it is also called meaty taste.
This taste not only found in meat. This taste is present in roasted vegetables, mushrooms, avocado, nuts, soy sauce. Breast milk is also one of the good sources of umami which explains its attraction.
If you switch to a plant-based diet, you might be deficient in some micronutrients like vitamin D, Vitamin B12, zinc, iron and omega3 fatty acids.
Your body is already capable for produce some amount of vitamin B12, but that is not enough to complete your daily needs of this vitamin. The primary external source of vitamin B12 is meat. Fish is the primary source of omega-3 fatty acids. Now how can you meet your daily needs of these vitamins and minerals?
So, you have to add some supplements to your diet to complete your daily needs of these vitamins and minerals.
- B12 (4mcg) in a separate tablet
- Calcium (400mg) plus vitamin D (2.5mcg) together in a separate tablet
- High-strength cod-liver oil capsule with vitamins D and E, in a separate capsule.
I urge you to do the same.
I hope you found this article about plant-based diet knowledgeable and helpful.