Whether you are a fitness freak or want to begin your fitness journey, You have definitely heard about pre workout supplements.
These supplements can increase your energy levels and improve performance and focus during workouts; in today’s article, we will learn about pre workout supplements, their main ingredients and their benefits.
What Are Pre Workout Supplements?
Pre-workout supplements are a combination of many ingredients and are specially for improving physical and mental well-being during workouts.
They are usually available in powder form in the market, and you have to mix the supplement with water and consume it before the training.
The main goal of pre workout supplements is to provide you energy during exercise, faster your recovery process and reduce muscle soreness after a workout.
Caffeine is a core ingredient found in pre-workout. Caffeine helps improve your alertness, focus, and energy while you are working out.
Caffeine can block a neurotransmitter known as adenosine, which can keep you relaxed; with the help of this blocking process, you feel more awake during a workout, which leads to more effective training.
Creatine is naturally produced in our bodies, responsible for energy production. Adding extra creatine in the form of a supplement can boost phosphocreatine levels in muscles, Which helps you during short-term high-intensity workouts like weight lifting and sprinting.
During a hard-core workout, your body starts producing lactic acid, which leads to muscle fatigue and hampers your performance. Beta-alanine is an amino acid that can protect your muscles from lactic acid and allow you to work out longer.
It is responsible for increasing blood circulation and boosting nitric oxide production in the body, which leads to better oxygen levels and nutrient delivery to muscles; this can delay muscle fatigue and minimize muscle soreness during and after workouts.
B vitamins are essential for boosting energy levels and better metabolism. It is responsible for converting the food you consume into energy and can give you relief from muscle fatigue.
Potential Benefits of Pre Workout Supplements:
The main motive of a pre-workout supplement is to improve your energy levels; some ingredients in pre-workout supplements, such as caffeine, give you a sudden boost in energy during the workout, leading to better performance and results.
Creatine and citrulline malate found in pre-workout can increase your endurance levels, allowing you to do more repetitions than before and supporting longer cardio sessions.
Some compounds present in the pre-workout are responsible for increasing your concentration towards your activity, which can help you correct your posture during training and maximize results.
BCAA (branch chain amino acids) are also an ingredient in pre-workouts, which helps to boost the recovery process after a workout and recharge you for your next training by reducing the risk of muscle soreness.
- Individual Tolerance: It would be best if you start with a small serving of pre-workout and evaluate your body’s response and then increase the servings after reaching at next level of fitness.
- Timing: You should take pre workout supplements at least before 30 minutes of the workout. Consuming it too early or just before the exercise may give you the same results as you expected from pre workout supplements.
- Hydration: Pre workout supplements can cause dehydration because of their high caffeine value. Please make sure you drink at least 1-2 litres of water during workouts to keep yourself hydrated.
- Supplement Quality: Always use quality supplements and avoid cheap products to save some pennies. All affordable products are not harmful, but you should pick reputed and trusted brands, especially if you are a beginner in the fitness industry.
- Personal Goals: You should always pick pre workout supplements according to your fitness goals. Some supplements are specially for muscle building, and some are for fat loss or general performance.
I hope now you understand about pre workout supplements; if you can’t afford the supplements or don’t want to consume supplements for any reason, then you can also drink black coffee without milk or sugar before a workout, or you can go for other food sources that help you to boost your energy levels.
You don’t need to overdose the supplements It will hamper your health badly, and if your medical history is not good or you are currently on any medication, then first consult with a doctor before starting any supplements.